It’s been a while between updates. Have managed a couple more games and been overseas on holiday. 😀 So with another week before going back to work it’s time to get stuck into some more Bolt Action hobby.
First up, the mighty Tetrarch Light Tank.
I have bought the resin Warlord Games Tetrarch kit, which basically comes with 4 bits of resin (the main hull, turret and both track assemblies). This makes it a breeze to assemble, after washing down the resin. It also comes with several options for the main gun, 2pdr Anti Tank, 3″ Howitzer and 2pdr fitted with Littlejohn adaptor (giving the humble 2 pounder a greater punch!) It also has the co-axial MMG as well. That’s it, a nice simple kit, with good detail.
However, I wanted more. Time to pimp up the Tetrarch.
First up, and something I do with any tank, magnetize the turret with some rare earth magnets. These are tiny 2mm magnets, but are more than enough to hold the turret on firmly, whilst allowing for it to be turned during a game.
Magnet in base of hull.
Next up I added some tarps and rolled up stowage. These I also got from Warlord Games. Just clipped from the sprue and superglued onto the tank.
Stowage on the front and side of the hull.
I was looking around the interwebs for pictures of Tetrarchs in Northern France, and came across the following picture.
This one picture was the inspiration and basis for the rest of the additions I made. On the turret I added the 2 radio antennas, by using some thin round plastic rod. These are quite flexible, so shouldn’t snap if knocked during a game. I also added the separate spotlight off the right side of the turret. This appears on virtually all pictures of Tetrarchs I found. I had a spare from a Jeep that I wasn’t using, so drilled a small hole in the side of the turret and stuck it on there.
One of the little extras I loved in the above photo, is the Bren gun wedged behind the antenna, on the side of the turret. Luckily enough I had one on a sprue, and added that to the model as well.
The big thing that this Tetrarch and several others had fitted was the extra fuel tank on the back of it. This was prehaps the trickiest thing to add. In the end I used an old plastic tube that protects your paint brushes, as the main tank. To secure this onto the tank I got a couple of left over 2mm bits of mdf and drilled a hole through them to fit the tube. Then holding the mdf bits together with the hobby pliers, I sanded it back with the dremmel to make them look like brackets. When I was happy with the shape I glued it on the back of the tank.
Side shot of the pimped up Tetrarch.
I still need to fill in the ends of the fuel tank with a bit of green stuff, then it’s off to the paint shop for part 2.